|Title||WRITER / CONSULTANT|
|Description||The Career Ladders Project (CLP) works to strengthen the role of community colleges in providing educational and career advancement opportunities for Californians. Through research, policy initiatives and strategic assistance to colleges and their workforce development partners, the Career Ladders Project works to foster career ladders in California. Established by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges and based in Oakland, CA, CLP operates under the Foundation for California Community Colleges, the non-profit auxiliary for the California Community Colleges.
SCOPE OF WORK
On a consulting basis, CLP seeks a motivated self-starter to join a dynamic team. An ideal candidate will contribute fresh ideas to inform meaningful and impactful work. We seek demonstrated experience writing persuasive prose to tell the story of numerous CLP initiatives involving California Community Colleges and their diverse students. The Writer/Consultant will take direction from a team of CLP staff, vetting and critiquing written products. S/he will incorporate feedback resulting in a variety of final written products targeted to a variety of audiences.
CLP is seeking a Writer/Consultant to:
• translate and describe what CLP does into clear and compelling language;
• produce writing products for a variety of audiences in a clear and compelling manner and ultimately help make an impact on policies and practices that support community colleges and their students, especially students from communities which have been historically underserved by post-secondary education;
• develop, edit and proofread materials for our website, policy briefs, grant proposals and reports, PowerPoint presentations, press releases, collateral, newsflashes, and grant proposals;
• help the organization implement and maintain a shared digital archive to organize all written communications.
Candidates should have documentable experience with the following:
• Writing in a clear, effective, persuasive and jargon-free style tailored to different audiences, including policy makers, college faculty, the general public, philanthropy and academia.
• Outstanding and demonstrated communications skills including writing and editing;
• Knowledge of effective writing and communications practices and conventions;
• Developing and writing proposals and reports for grants from philanthropic, state and/or federal government sources.
• Ability to synthesize complex information and present data clearly;
• Writing about diverse populations and topics of inclusion, equity and social justice;
• Ability to conceptualize as well as attend to detail;
• High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
• Knowledge of research and citation conventions;
• Knowledge of how to format and effectively use tables, charts, graphs in documents;
• Excellent organizational, prioritization, time management, and problem solving skills with ability to prioritize tasks/projects while keeping appropriate personnel apprised of status on a regular basis;
• Strong initiative and follow-through;
• Ability to work successfully under pressure and to handle competing priorities with minimal supervision at some times, heavier supervision at others;
• Ability to implement systems and follow-up processes;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and communicate diplomatically;
• Ability to learn quickly and to ask for help as needed;
• Ability to prepare, read, analyze, and interpret documents;
• Ability to define problems, interpret data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
STRONGLY DESIRED EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of post-secondary education and/or workforce development related programs, education and workforce development policies, practices or reform strategies;
• Familiarity with research on effective practices and educational reform, particularly with respect to community colleges.
Consultants are hired under contract and compensated at a negotiated hourly rate. The rates are commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample or vitae of writing products. Please submit materials as Word documents by email to info@CareerLaddersProject.org include in the subject line: Writing Consultant.
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received.