Back to Please register or log in.
Item details add to favorites
Category Accounting
No Picture
Created 2016-11-04
Owner adtozhou
Promotion level None
Title Beginner terminology and details of scaffolding
Description Terminology ranges from area to area, but most are common...
'Standards' are the tubes that are vertical.
'Ledgers' are the tubes that are horizontal.
'Braces' are the tubes that are diagonal.
'Transoms' are the tubes that run horizontal also, but from one 'Ledger' to the other.
Standards are usually in groups of 4 to start then in groups of 2, then 2, then 2 and so on.
Ledgers are usually in groups of 2, then 2, then 2 and so on.
Braces (Ledger) are usually added at every other Standard to keep the width of the Scaffolding Sale precise and Braces (Sway or fa?ade), are usually added every 5 bays from Standard to Standard, to keep a Scaffold straight.
Transoms have 2 main uses. To help secure the Ledgers and Braces together and to take the Scaffold Boards, so that the working platform can be built. Theres usually 4/5 Transoms per board.
Boards are basically Timber/treated Pine planks that are used to work off, once a Scaffold is erected. - EVERY trade, including Scaffolders who work/walk on a Scaffolding works off of Scaffolding Boards. They are usually 225mm thick and come in various lengths, including: 13', 10', 8', 5' (foot) Scaffold Pipe sections vertical are called 'Lifts' and Scaffolding sections horizontal are called 'Bays'.

Ropes are also a much used and useful part of Scaffolding.
Ladders and sheeting are often ties with rope/lashing (just like the old days, lol.) and ropes are used to 'pull' equipment upto where your working.
Ginney Wheels are still even now very much a part of a Scaffolders kit, just like they was over 50 years ago.

Certain knots are commonly used.
Clove Hitch - commonly and mistakenly called a 'Rolling Hitch' - used for tying off tubes.
Timber Hitch - used for tying off boards.
Half Hitch - used for tying bags of fittings off.